The America Makes Mission
The focus of the America Makes ( www.americamakes.us ) is to accelerate additive manufacturing technologies to the U.S. manufacturing sector and increase domestic manufacturing competitiveness by:
- Fostering a highly collaborative infrastructure for the open exchange of additive manufacturing information and research.
- Facilitating the development, evaluation, and deployment of efficient and flexible additive manufacturing technologies.
- Engaging with educational institutions and companies to supply education and training in additive manufacturing technologies to create an adaptive, leading workforce.
- Serving as a national institute with regional and national impact on additive manufacturing capabilities.
- Linking and integrating US companies with existing public, private or not-for-profit industrial and economic development resources, and business incubators, with an emphasis on assisting small- and medium-sized enterprises and early-stage companies (start-ups).
First-year efforts focused on bringing together its many member organizations, establishing its Innovation Factory, further developing the roadmaps for the Institute and its initiatives, and starting research & development projects. Highlighted achievements include the following.
- Partnered with 79 member organizations, including companies, universities, community colleges, and non-profit organizations; implemented a governance model and elected a Governance Board, Executive Committee, and Technical Advisory Board; adopted a membership agreement and an organization charter.
- Hired a Director, four Deputy Directors, and an Innovation Factory Manager to execute the mission.
- Established the Innovation Factory in Youngstown, Ohio, which included refurbishing a building and installing numerous 3D printing systems and ancillary equipment entrusted to America Makes by its members.
- Funded seven research & development projects to be conducted by seven teams including 35 industry, university, and non-profit organizations.
- Engaged with members to develop an industry-driven technology investment strategy that builds upon previous technology roadmaps and strategy documents and targets high-value investments that are most appropriate for public-private partnership investments.
- Developed plans for education and workforce training and outreach.
- Began generating concepts and requirements for a website that will facilitate innovation and collaboration.
For further updates, see the America Makes website: www.americamakes.us
As part of his plan to catalyze a nationwide network of regional manufacturing innovation institutes, President Obama also acted to launch an institute that would further U.S. capabilities in an important emerging manufacturing technology and to pilot principles and approaches to guide the design and operation of the NNMI. Five federal agencies — the Departments of Defense, Energy, and Commerce, the National Science Foundation, and NASA — jointly committed to invest in a pilot institute. On May 9, 2012, the federal government issued a solicitation for proposals from teams led by non-profit organizations or universities to establish an Additive Manufacturing Innovation Institute. The solicitation sought proposals, including technical and business plans, detailing steps to accelerate research, development, and demonstration in additive manufacturing and transition technology to manufacturing enterprises within the United States. On August 16, 2012, after a competitive process, the Administration announced the selection of a new consortium led by the National Center for Defense Manufacturing and Machining (NCDMM) to establish the National Additive Manufacturing Innovation Institute.
On Oct 8, 2013, the institute announced a new identity, America Makes. This new brand and name sets the stage for all working and innovating in additive manufacturing and 3D printing to realize the mission of reinvigorating the nation’s manufacturing industry and jobs market by serving a strong message. According to Ralph Resnick, Founding Director of the Institute and NCDMM President and CEO, “America Makes is a vehicle for the National Additive Manufacturing Innovation Institute to raise our profile, reach a wider audience to include the hobbyist and the entrepreneur, and ultimately, provide a richer member experience. America Makes sets the stage for us to realize our mission of reinvigorating the U.S. manufacturing industry and jobs market by serving a strong message. America Makes is our call to action. America Makes challenges the perception of manufacturing. America Makes is a far-reaching movement that goes beyond the walls of industry and into the homes of individuals. This is how we will become competitive. This is how we grow our nation’s economy and get ahead. This is how we lead. When America Makes, America Works!”
For more information:
- America Makes Web Page
- We Can’t Wait: Obama Administration Announces New Public-Private Partnership to Support (White House Press Release)
- Obama Administration Announces New Public-Private Partnership to Support Manufacturing Innovation, Encourage Investment in America (Department of Commerce Press Release)
- NCDMM is Chosen to Manage National Additive Manufacturing Innovation Institute (NCDMM Press Release)
- Additive Manufacturing (Department of Commerce Fact Sheet)
- Acting Secretary of Commerce Rebecca Blank’s remarks at National Additive Manufacturing Innovation Institute pilot announcement, Youngstown, Ohio